Friday, April 16, 2010

Color Theroy : Pink and Green

I have been so excited by the new issues of Traditional Home and House Beautiful. After a couple of years where neutrals have taken precedence, color is back in a fresh and exciting way! I am really into using clean, crisp and bright colors right now and putting unexpected color combinations together. For the next couple of days I will be posting color combinations that have really caught my eye recently. To start with I thought I would take a look at one of the quintessential southern color combos...pink and green. I don't know if this is as popular in other parts of the country but we love it here! There is just something so cheerful about it.

Color Theory: Red and Green are across the color wheel from one another, and that makes them complementary colors. Decorating with complementary colors is perfect for anyone who is just getting started with their decor because they are usually the simplest and most straightforward of the color schemes. The pinks and greens in then next photos work together because they are just lighter versions of the traditional red and green.

I think that the use of two different shades of pink and the boldness of the black iron cocktail table keeps this room from being too sweet.

(courtesy of Traditional Home)

Here I think that the use of white and a more acid green is key to keeping this look modern. You really have to be careful with pink and green because it can easily start to look very young.

(courtesy of Traditional Home)



(courtesy of Traditional Home)

This is a more traditional version of pink and green, but it still looks so inviting.

(courtesy of Traditional Home)

This bedroom is a great example of how quiet and soothing pink and green can be.

(courtesy of House Beautiful)

And of course, pinks and greens look fantastic when entertaining outdoors.

(courtesy of Traditional Home)

1 comment: